Christopher Heaps was a plumber and former Presbyterian who retained 'staunchly dissenting' opinions when he became a Methodist in the 1790s. He was an early supporter of Alexander Kilham and a trustee of Ebenezer Chapel, Leeds, opened in May 1797 and the scene of the first MNC Conference. His son John Heaps (1779-1856) was a MNC local preacher who itinerated for one year (1800-1801) and was instrumental in replacing Ebenezer by Woodhouse Lane Chapel in 1858. John's son Joshua Garred Heaps (?1811-1888) continued the family business and was a Liberal councillor and alderman. He was MNC Chapel Fund Treasurer 1864-1880 and became a Guardian Representative in 1874. On Joshua's death his brother Thomas Heaps (d.1892 aet.79) replaced him as a Guardian Representative.
George Heaps snr (b.1781), a cloth dresser and brother of John Heaps, was an overseer of the Poor and for two years the Librarian of the Leeds Mechanics Institute. Besides being involved in Liberal politics in Leeds, the family were involved in the town's educational life, especially the Sunday school movement, and Miss Kate Heaps was elected to the Leeds School Board in 1899, replacing her uncle Edward Tiffany (d.1903 aet.76) a member of the Leeds School Board 1882-1897, who also held Connexional office.