The son of H. Maldwyn Hughes, he was born on 27 February 1910 in Wallasey and educated at the Perse School, Cambridge. He worked in banking before training for the ministry at Wesley House, Cambridge. He gained his Cambridge MA in 1938 and Oxford MA in 1969. He was chaplain at Culford School 1935-1941 and RAF chaplain 1941-1945. Appointed Vice-Principal of Westminster College in 1946, he became Principal in 1953, oversaw the college's move to Oxford in 1959 and forged links with the University. He was the first Methodist to become a Select Preacher at the University. After leaving the college in 1969, he served in the Attleborough Circuit in Norfolk until retirement in 1975 and retained an active involvement in educational affairs. His books include Prophetic Prayer (1947), The Piety of Jeremy Taylor (1960) and A Progress of Pilgrims: seven Methodists. 1914-1958 (1979). He died on 26 April 1988.