WM cotton manufacturer, born in Burnley, the son of Thomas Kay, owner of Longholme Mills, Rawtenstall. In 1829 his father bought him Brooksbottoms Mill, Summerseat from Richard Hamer, whose daughter Mary became Kay's wife in 1834 and brought him Wood Road Mill on her father's death in 1850. A paternalist employer, he supported the Ten Hour Bill in 1847, he was a Director of the East Lancashire Railway. He was treasurer of the WM Education Committee from 1856 to 1872, President of the Bury Auxiliary of the British and Foreign Bible Society and President of the Bury Athenaeum. He died on 25 March 1872. His mausoleum was in the now demolished gothick chapel (1847) at Summerseat, which had been largely financed by him.