Selston is the largest parish in Nottinghamshire. WM made no headway there, but PM spread among the framework knitters and other working-class inhabitants. The village was missioned from the Belper Circuit in 1823-24 and Portland Row chapel was built in 1824 (replaced in 1882), with six more in other parts of the parish between 1827 and 1904. A schism in 1839 led to the formation of the Original Methodists, whose first chapel (known from its location as the 'Middle Chapel') was built in Selston and became the head of one of the four circuits and branches of this new body. At Pye Hill the UMFC chapel (1874) and the PM chapel (1882) were within a few yards of each other.