Born on 12 October 1898, of Scottish parents, at Luffenham, Rutland, he was educated at Harrogate Grammar School. After service in the Tank Corps, he studied at Leeds University and Wesley House, Cambridge, where he took firsts in English Literature and Theology. From early in his ministry he showed particular interest in both open air witness and student chaplaincy. His appointment to the chair of Church History at Hartley Victoria College was pre-empted by the outbreak of World War II. From 1943 to 1950 he was Chairman of the Stoke and Macclesfield District and from 1950 to 1963 of the Birmingham District. He served on several connexional committees: Church Membership 1942-1952, Chapel 1948-1963 and Overseas Missions 1954-1969. He was President of the Conference in 1954, Moderator of the Free Church Federal Conference in 1959 and President of the Band of Hope 1960-1974. His Fernley-Hartley lecture in 1965 was entitled Called to Preach. He died at Shaftesbury on 26 January 1987.