Torbay comprises the towns of Torquay, Paignton and Brixham. Torquay grew in the nineteenth century into an affluent watering place with a correspondingly varied and distinguished list of churches and chapels for residents and visitors. There were WM, BC and PM churches, as well as a single MNC mission chapel, the only one in Devon. The great Union Street WM chapel of 1879, seating 1,150, was replaced in 1976 by the distinctive modern Central Church, representing a union of Union Street and Market Street Methodist churches and Belgrave URC.
The BC Conference of 1877 met in their Torre Chapel.
Entry written by: RFST
Comment on this entry