Born at Buglawton, Ches., he started work at 9 in the silk-making industry and served an apprenticeship in Macclesfield. He gained his education through Sunday School and night school, and by reading as he worked at the loom. In 1871 he and two of his brothers formed Beresford Brothers, silk manufacturers, housed in the Victoria mill at Congleton, which they bought and extended. Charles survived his brothers and continued the business, joined in time by three of his sons. With other premises in Prestwich, London, LeedsLeeds and LiverpoolLiverpool, it became one of the major ribbon and trimming manufacturers in the country and a model employer.
From 1871 to 1884 Berisford was a trustee of the MNC chapel in Congleton, then transferred his membership to the Wragg Street WM chapel, where his support led to its enlargement in 1895. He also served as a JP. He died in Congleton on 22 January 1898. The firm continued to expand and diversify under his sons, becoming a limited company in 1916.