Filey, an East Coast fishing village where, unusually, the fishing boats are launched directly from the beach, has a medieval parish church. The coming of the railway from Seamer in 1846 and from Hull via Bridlington in 1847 contributed to its becoming a popular holiday resort, with the Royal Crescent, built in the 1840s and 1850s, attracting many famous people. Today the town is growing with new residential development.
An attempt in 1806 to establish Methodism in the village was met with considerable opposition but finally in 1811 a small class in the house of a Mr. Moseley began meeting, in the Bridlington Quay WM Circuit. A chapel followed, replaced in 1876 by one which was burnt down in 1911. Trinity, its gothic replacement, was opened in 1923. Filey became the head of a circuit in 1862.
The main impact on the village came with the Primitive Methodists who initially met violent opposition until in 1823 John Oxtoby finally was successful in missioned the fishing village, making a considerable impact on the fishermen. It was claimed that they ceased fishing on the Sabbath and there was a considerable change in their behaviour. A chapel soon followed in Mitford Street, later used by the Salvation Army and now replaced. Under the ministry of George Shaw. 1864-1867, the decision was taken to build a large, new chapel and under the ministry of Parkinson Milson, 1867-1869 a site was purchased in Union street. Ebenezer, by the Hull architect Joseph Wright, was opened in 1871 under the ministry of Charles Kendall. Especially the writings of George Shaw helped provide romantic publicity which was a significant factor in Filey's growth as a holiday resort. Ebenezer's jerseyed fishermen's choir sat in the gallery; also known for their contribution to the prayer meetings, they attracted large congregations. Closure came c.1973 and it has since been converted into apartments.