Cole family, of Sheffield

Three brothers from Pickering set up a shop in Sheffield in 1847. It grew into a large department store, Cole Bros of Fargate, was taken over by Selfridges in 1919 and joined the John Lewis Partnership in 1940. The oldest brother was John Cole (1814 - after 1896). Thomas Cole (1824-1902), a prominent WM, was a *temperance advocate and philanthropist. His son, another Thomas Cole, (b.1854) served on six connexional committees and was involved in the building of the Victoria Hall, Sheffield, which he opened in 1908; and his daughter Annie Littlewood Cole (1856-1939) married J.V. Early in 1880. The third brother Skelton Cole JP (1827-96) was one of the first laymen elected to the WM Conference (in 1878); he served on the connexional Education Committee and the Headingley College committee. His son Thomas Skelton Cole (b.1853) was organist at Norfolk Street WM chapel, and his grandson Maurice Cole (1890-1980) was treasurer at Victoria Hall and involved with Boys' Brigade and Sunday School.

  • T.Alexander Seed, History of Norfolk Street Chapel and Wesleyan Methodism in Sheffield (1907), pp.126-38