The leading printer and bookseller in Dublin at the beginning of the nineteenth century. He was converted and became a Methodist in 1774, and became a local preacher and a visitor in the Strangers' Friend Society. He married a sister of Henry Moore. In 1817 he joined the Primitive Wesleyan Methodists, became their Home Missions treasurer and laid the foundation stone of their headquarters chapel in South Great George Street, Dublin. He was also the principal supporter, and for some time proprietor, of Wesley Chapel, Dublin.