Missionary in Portugal, he was born on 1 June 1911 into a UM family at Horsforth Woodside, Leeds and educated at Leeds University and Hartley Victoria College. From 1955 until retirement in 1984 he was stationed in Oporto, where he became fluent in Portuguese. He founded the Portuguese Christian Endeavour Union (UPEC) and was involved in ecumenical activities especially through Reconciliation Ecumenical Centre at Figueira da Foz. He was President of the Portuguese Council of Christian Churches in 1971 and fostered relations with the Roman Catholic Church in the post-Vatican II era. His wife was very active in the Girl Guide movement. In retirement he was honoured by the Portuguese President for his service to the country. He died in Oporto on 21 December 1998.