Scotter, a village north of Gainsborough, is notable for having been the head of a PM District 1821-1823. The first chapel (1819) was sold to the MNC in 1849, when a new one was built. The Conference of 1829, meeting there, saw the signing of the Deed Poll and sent four missionaries (including one woman, Ruth Watkins) to America.
John Wesley had visited the village in 1764 and 1766; a WM society was formed and a chapel built in 1774 (replaced in 1815 and 1900). The MNC (in the Gainsborough Circuit) continued to use the former PM chapel until 1948.